iPhone vs. Droid
I’ve been meaning to write something about this topic forever, mostly just because people ask what I like better. If you know me, you’d know I started off with a Blackberry, and I did love it, but then it broke so I got the iPhone 3GS which I’ve had for about two years now (I’m on ATT), and just the other week I switched to Droid. My boyfriend was on verizon and his old eris finally bit the dust, so he got the LG Revolution and it is AWESOME.
I wanted a droid mostly, because I was curious, bored with the iPhone OS, wanted a bigger screen, and just grew tired of not being able to get a signal in my own apt. I went with the HTC Inspire 4G and noticed that right off the bat, it was much faster and my signal was a LOT better. But aside from that, here are other things I’ve noticed:
- Swype rules. I’m totally addicted
- The automatic syncing between gmail contacts was super convenient.
- Screen is ginormous and it just feels substantial.
- Camera is better, at least compared to the 3GS
- Battery life seemed to work so much better
- I really liked the dropdown menu for the notifications, but it looks like iOS5 will be ripping this off shortly.
- Being able to dock your phone as a hard drive and get into the nitty gritty/pull photos immediately from the phone itself.
- Cost. Seriously, $100 compared to $199-$299
- LOTS. OF. APPS. Holy crap. This is a big one for me. Droid is missing a ton. And I really missed how some of them looked and felt on the iPhone
- Email is much simpler, in my opinion. For the droid, I kept getting multiple notifications for the HTC/Gmail clients. Too much customization is involved just to get this to behave normally.
- Simplified. Every app has the same structure throughout. Twitter/FB interface on each app is the same. Trustworthy
- The fact that I already have about 1000 iPhone compatible docks, speakers, chargers, etc. Not to mention my VW is meant to work with iPhones.
- No worrying about the stupid Task Killer
- Longevity. I’ve spoken to several folks that say their droids get glitchy after a long time. And I can say that while my Iphone has acted up and been weird, I’ve ran over 300+ apps, 500+ pics, and 1000+ songs on it and it’s held up.
- iOS5 is coming out soon, and it looks baller.
- iPhone 5 is coming out soon, and it sounds baller.
After deliberating, I think I’m going to go back to the ATT store and returning my HTC and either getting the iPhone 4, or just reverting back to my 3Gs and waiting for the 5.
There. I’ve said my peace.